Plex Media Server Permissions Ubuntu

Everytime I had to set up Plex Media Server in Ubuntu I experienced permission problems. I’ve tried many different solutions, some working, most not.  I’ve tried using udisks-glue when my drives were formatted as NTFS, but decided that its just much simpler to keep my drives formatted as EXT4 for simplicity.

I finally settled on a solution that works for me.  I need to have the ability to remove my media then plug it back in later with Plex not losing any of my metadata for those missing files during their temporary disconnect from my server.

This means I need Plex to have access to my /media/<username> folder. It turns out that by default the Plex user account cannot read this directory even if the permissions on my EXT4 formatted drives have username:plex as a permitted user/group.

The solution that works for me finally turned out to be farily simple. All I needed to do was to give “Other” read permission to my /media/<username> folder with the command:

sudo chmod 775 /media/<username>

This not only allows plex to index my EXT4 formatted drives, but also let me hotplug my external usb drives and plug them in later.  Since I only use one user on my server, I also stay logged in to KDE.  I also have to set my usb drives to automount when inserted in the Removeable Devices KDE Control Module.

Getting Mediatomb to work gracefully with my PS3

I have spent some time working with MediaTomb on Fedora Core 9, trying to get it to work seamlessly with my ps3. After a lot of trial and error, I have managed to get a pretty comprehensive configuration that plays 99% of all my media. Now granted, I don’t have every form out there, but of the media that I do have, I can play most of it.

I did extensive searching on how others set up MT and found lots of conflicting and disjointed information. I will try to detail my setup here for everyone to copy and start using MT with their Playstation 3’s.

My environment is this:
Intel Core 2 Quad Core Q6600
4GB Ram
250GB Storage
Fedora Core 9
Mediatomb 0.11.0-1.fc9 (from yum)
Playstation 3 60GB

Config.xml
Without further ado here is my config file.









MediaTomb
uuid:25707cb6-bb6c-45e7-8701-198545d0d823
/etc/mediatomb
/usr/share/mediatomb/web


mediatomb.db


localhost
?
mediatomb ?


























video/mpeg
yes
yes
yes



DX50


video/mpeg
yes
yes
yes

image/jpeg
yes yes 128x128

audio/x-wav
yes
yes
no

audio/L16
no
yes
no


Most of the instructions were fairly straightforward. Set MT to use one of your ethernet ports. I chose eth0 in /etc/mediatomb/mediatomb.conf

Everytime I changed the mime-type mappings I have to refresh the database.

I noticed that some people had gotten MT to serve thumbnails to the PS3 for every media type. This was done either using Totem or Google’s ffmpegthumbnailer. I tried Totem first but it only recognized a few file formats. This led me to try google’s solution. There is no rpm for this so I installed the source file that I downloaded at Googles ffmpegthumbnailer.

mediainfo