Getting Mediatomb to work gracefully with my PS3
I have spent some time working with MediaTomb on Fedora Core 9, trying to get it to work seamlessly with my ps3. After a lot of trial and error, I have managed to get a pretty comprehensive configuration that plays 99% of all my media. Now granted, I don’t have every form out there, but of the media that I do have, I can play most of it.
I did extensive searching on how others set up MT and found lots of conflicting and disjointed information. I will try to detail my setup here for everyone to copy and start using MT with their Playstation 3’s.
My environment is this:
Intel Core 2 Quad Core Q6600
Fedora Core 9
Mediatomb 0.11.0-1.fc9 (from yum)
Playstation 3 60GB
Without further ado here is my config file.
Most of the instructions were fairly straightforward. Set MT to use one of your ethernet ports. I chose eth0 in /etc/mediatomb/mediatomb.conf
Everytime I changed the mime-type mappings I have to refresh the database.
I noticed that some people had gotten MT to serve thumbnails to the PS3 for every media type. This was done either using Totem or Google’s ffmpegthumbnailer. I tried Totem first but it only recognized a few file formats. This led me to try google’s solution. There is no rpm for this so I installed the source file that I downloaded at Googles ffmpegthumbnailer.